Invisalign® Braces – The Virtually Invisible Way to Straighten Teeth
Invisalign® Braces are a virtually invisible way to straighten your teeth without the use of traditional metal braces. The Invisalign® system employs a series of clear, removable aligners that move your teeth, over time, to give you the straight, attractive smile you’ve always wanted.
Invisalign® can correct the same wide range of dental and orthodontic issues that traditional braces correct, such as overcrowding, gaps, overbites, underbites, crossbites, crooked teeth, and protruding teeth. All of these conditions could contribute to gum disease, wearing of teeth, and painful jaw and joint problems.
How Does Invisalign® Work?
Our dental office will give you an initial examination to determine if Invisalign® treatment is right for you. If it appears that Invisalign® is indeed a plausible option, we will take photographs and X-rays of your jaw, teeth, and bite, as well as an impression of your teeth, then conduct further diagnostic analysis to verify that Invisalign® is an appropriate orthodontic treatment. The next step is to develop a customized treatment plan to determine the exact timeline and methodology for how your teeth are to be straightened. We will also be able to let you know if you qualify for orthodontic insurance benefits at this time, and the estimated cost and length of your treatment.
When the treatment plan is complete, your records will be sent to Invisalign® along with the dentist’s instructions. Using the latest advances in 3-D computer technology, Invisalign® will translate the instructions into a series of precisely customized aligners. Over the course of your entire journey with Invisalign®, you’ll wear between 18 and 30 aligners. These trays are designed to gradually move your teeth closer to the desired result. Each set of aligners is worn for about two weeks before being replaced by the next trays, and they must be worn constantly, apart from during meals and when cleaning your teeth. That equals a wearing time of 20 to 22 hours a day. These aligners are for your mouth alone, and they are intended to move certain teeth at certain times until you have a completely aligned smile.
The Invisalign® aligners can only do the work they are intended to do if the wearer follows their customized treatment plan and wears the aligners as instructed by their dentist. The entire course of treatment with Invisalign® can take anywhere between nine and 15 months, but the average length of treatment is around one year.
The Benefits of Invisalign® Braces
Invisalign® is a revolutionary innovation in orthodontia. When you receive the news that you need braces – whether as a teen or adult – there is another option now besides traditional metal braces with their accompanying brackets and wires. The stigma of “metal mouth” is eliminated entirely with Invisalign® and, best of all, Invisalign® allows you to continue to live your life as normal without worrying about how you’ll appear in photos or how others will perceive you in person. And all the while it’s straightening your teeth into a stunning new smile.
Let’s look more closely at some of the major benefits of Invisalign®:
- Greater comfort. Invisalign® wouldn’t be doing its job properly if you didn’t feel some discomfort while wearing the trays, especially when switching to a new set of aligners. This means your teeth and jaw are shifting as intended. But Invisalign® aligners are also incredibly thin and completely smooth, unlike traditional metal braces that can poke, scratch, and irritate your lips, tongue, and cheeks, which means they’re gentle on the rest of your mouth while they’re doing the important job of shifting your teeth.
- Easy cleaning routine. Taking care of your teeth while wearing Invisalign® is easy. Because the aligners are removable, you can floss and brush as always, which eliminates the worry that any food is getting caught in hard-to-reach places. You also don’t need any special tools to clean your teeth, unlike traditional braces-wearers who must be meticulous about caring for their braces and teeth. And the ease of cleaning your teeth means that you will be able to maintain good oral health, which results in fewer cavities and a lower risk of gum disease. Caring for your aligners is simple too. Just rinse them every time you take them out and before you put them back in your mouth to wash away saliva and plaque; soak the aligners regularly as instructed by your dentist so that they remain clear and virtually invisible on your teeth; and gently brush your aligners (no toothpaste!) to keep them fresh.
- A satisfied appetite. There are no food restrictions for Invisalign® wearers. You can eat whatever you want whenever you want. Dig into the caramel, the popcorn, the pizza crust, the crunchy fruits and veggies. You won’t have to worry about food getting stuck in your brackets or pulling at your wires. Just pop out your Invisalign® aligner and eat to your heart’s content. Invisalign® also makes it possible to maintain a balanced diet because you are not limited in your choices. Just remember to only drink water while wearing the aligners, and remove them before you drink any other beverages.
- Less time in the dentist’s chair. Because your Invisalign® treatment plan is completely laid out from the very start, you only have to visit your dentist every six weeks or so to confirm that your teeth are moving as they should be and, if necessary, pick up new sets of aligners to continue your treatment.
- Under-the-radar orthodontia. No one wants to announce the world that they’re having their teeth straightened. But people who wear Invisalign® may be so delighted about the barely noticeable aligners on their teeth that they delightedly point them out to their friends and family anyway. The point is, no matter what your day-to-day responsibilities as a working adult or busy student, no one will notice that you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment unless you alert them to it.
- Greater confidence. Ultimately, your Invisalign® treatment is giving you a new lease on life, an opportunity to face the world with a straight smile that you’re incredibly proud of. It’s difficult to develop and maintain confidence about your appearance when you’re embarrassed by crooked or gapped teeth. If you believe that you look good, that confidence will be apparent to others and help you be more successful professionally, socially, and personally.
It’s natural to be apprehensive about any orthodontic treatment. You’re committing to months of work on your mouth, which is a big deal. But the beauty of Invisalign® is that is does make orthodontic treatment easy to keep private. You will look exactly the same when wearing Invisalign®, except your teeth will progressively become straighter until your treatment is complete. You can give a presentation, teach a class, argue a case, or speak up in class without any self-consciousness about metal braces on your teeth or how others perceive you while the spotlight is on you. Invisalign® allow you to have a normal lifestyle while undergoing the important work of aligning your teeth.
Choosing Invisalign® means you want to create a stronger, healthier smile for the good of your oral health and overall well-being. Dr. Shaista Najmi has completed the training required to become an Invisalign® Braces provider in Jacksonville, Florida. Discuss Invisalign® with Dr. Najmi today and get on your way to a straight, amazing smile.